Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Reversible Silk Messenger Bag

I don't do a lot of sewing for other people, but a customer offered me a chance to work with some really gorgeous silk dupioni.

He's going to Blizzcon in October and wants to dress as a human form Worgen. Since it's a gaming con, though, he needs a bag to carry his junk around, and a standard, canvas bag really wouldn't do.

And because I can't help but make things more complicated, I offered to make the bag reversible, so it was wearable with more things.


I found this excellent tutorial  Which I then tweaked till it worked for a reversible bag. Because the silk was thin, I lined both sides in heavy fusible interfacing, which really stabilized everything.  I also added a line of stitching around the top of the bag and the flap to keep it in place, even after some hard use.












I had some trouble with the strap.  I didn't quite have enough black silk left to make a 1 piece strap, and the idea of making it particolored offended my sensibilities.  My customer was ok with it being made of two pieces, but I think I'm going to keep an eye out for something to replace the fabric strap with.


Still.....I'm quite pleased with the outcome.







~Grand Adventuring!~

2 comments: